I have created a masterpiece! My latest cake invention is perhaps my best yet.
Combining the warming sponge laced with cinnamon, a thick vanilla custard and a crumble topping, the Cinnamon and Vanilla Custard Crumble Cake is born.
175g Caster Sugar
1 1/2tsp Vanilla Essence
175g Self-Raising Flour
1 1/2tsp Baking Powder
110g Plain Flour
3tbsps Demerera Sugar (and a little extra to sprinkle on top)
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and grease and line an 8" loose bottomed cake tin.
2. Cream the sugar and the butter until light in colour and fluffy in texture.
3. Add to this the eggs, vanilla essence and 2tbsps of the custard and mix until combined.
4. Fold in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon to form the cake batter - loosen this with the milk if needed.
5. Place the cake batter into the cake tin and spread evenly.
6. Pour the rest of the custard over the cake batter and spread evenly to form a thick layer.
7. In a bowl, add the flour and the butter for the crumble ingredients and rub the mixture together until it resembles small breadcrumbs (this can take a good five minutes). Add the sugar and the cinnamon to this mixture and then scatter onto the top of the cake with an even coverage.
8. Sprinkle the cake with some extra demerera sugar and bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
It is delightfully good served warm with extra custard or ice cream, but is just as nice as a a slice on its own with a good cup of (Yorkshire) tea.