I love to bake with polenta and having not made a polenta cake in a while I thought I would try out with a new recipe.
The grittiness and nutty texture of the polenta compliments the bite of the dessicated coconut. When both are combined and drenched in a lime syrup drizzle it makes for a super moist cake.
200g Caster Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Essence
Zest of 2 Limes
140g Self-Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
70g Dessicated Coconut
Juice of 2 Limes
40g Granulated Sugar
50g Caster Sugar
6tbsp Icing Sugar
1tsp of Water
2tbsp Toasted Dessicated Coconut
1. Preheat your oven to 180C and grease and line a loose bottomed 8" cake tin.
2. In a bowl, place the milk over the dessicated coconut and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until it is light in colour and fluffy in texture.
4. Add the eggs, vanilla essence and lime zest and beat the mixture together until it is well combined.
5. Add the flour, polenta and baking powder to the wet ingredients and fold them together.
6. Add the milk soaked dessicated coconut to this mixture and fold together until a smooth cake batter is formed.
7. Place the mixture into the cake tin and place on the centre shelf of your oven to bake for 30-40 minutes.
8. To make the drizzle, take the juice of 2 limes and stir together with the granulated sugar and caster sugar. Once the cake has been removed from the oven, immediately pierce it with a skewer all over and then pour the lime drizzle mix on top of the cake.
9. Once the cake has cooled and the drizzle has set you can remove the cake from the tin. Make up the icing mix by sieving the icing sugar and adding the water to create a thick drizzling consistency. Drizzle this over the cake in lines and then scatter with the toasted dessicated coconut.