Sunday 19 May 2013

RECIPE | STICKY MARMALADE PARKIN




I LOVE GINGERBREAD.

A Jamaican ginger bread loaf never lasts very long when I'm around so I thought I'd attempt to make my own. What better though than to put a Northern twang on it by making a batch of Yorkshire's very own Parkin. Parkin is made with treacle and oatmeal, giving it its own special flavour. I however did not have any oatmeal in so I used a mix of oats and oatbran for more texture. As always I like to add my own little twist to my cakes and decided to add some marmalade to the cake and to also add a generous glaze of sticky and syrupy marmalade on top. Extra YUM!



STICKY MARMALADE PARKIN


Ingredients:

Cake:
125g Golden Syrup
100g Treacle
2tbsp Marmalade
100g Soft Brown Sugar
190g Plain Flour
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
2tsp Ground Ginger
1tsp Cinnamon or Mixed Spice
100g Butter
200g of Medium Oatmeal/Oats/Oatbran
1 Egg
1tsp Vanilla Essence
100ml Milk

Sticky Topping:
2tbsp Marmalade
2tbsp Golden Syrup
1tbsp Treacle
2tbsp Icing Sugar




Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 170 and grease and line a square or rectangular deep cake tin.

2. Place the syrup, treacle, marmalade and sugar into a pan on a low heat until melted. Leave to cool.

3. In a bowl, sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon/mixed spice and then rub the butter into the mixture. Stir the oatmeal into the mixture. Add the melted ingredients, the egg and the milk and stir until combined.

4. Pour the mixture into the baking tin and place on the middle shelf of your oven to bake for 50-60 minutes.

5. When the cake is baked. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Place all the ingredients for the sticky topping into a pan and warm on a low heat. When the mixture thickens, remove from the heat and brush all over the exposed surface areas of the cake. Leave to set before eating.




* Did you know that Parkin tastes better the longer you leave it?
3-4 days stored in an air tight container is the recommended storage time before eating but I bet you'll struggle to even keep it for a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment