200g Unsalted Butter
200g Ground Almonds
2tsp Baking Powder (Gluten-free if this is for wheat or gluten intolerant people)
50g Poppy Seeds
1tsp Vanilla Essence
3tbsp Plain Yoghurt
2tbsp Lemon Juice
Zest of 3 Lemons
Crunchy Lemon Glaze:
Juice of 3 Lemons
130g Icing Sugar
50g Granulated Sugar
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
115g Icing Sugar
Poppy Seeds and Lemon Zest to Sprinkle on top of the Icing
1. Line and grease a 9" springform cake tin with baking parchment and butter and then pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer or standing mixer until light and fluffy and pale in colour.
3. Add the eggs and the vanilla essence to the butter and sugar.
4. Weight out the ground almonds, polenta, baking powder and poppy seeds and fold into the wet mixture.
5. At this point fold in the lemon zest, lemon juice and yoghurt. Mix it until it is all evenly combined. If the mixture feels quite stiff then add between 1-3tbsp of milk to loosen it.
6. Place the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until firm in the middle.
7. Whilst the cake is still in the oven, prepare the crunchy lemon glaze mixture. Once the cake is removed from the oven, whilst still hot, prick the cke several times with a skewer and top with the crunchy lemon glaze using a pastry brush or pallet knife.
8. Leave to cool and refrigerate over night. Before serving top with the lemon icing and top with poppy seeds and lemon zest.
Photography and Styling: Jonathan Finch and Katy Lanceley