A classic cake turned into a LOAF. Oh how I love to make loaves.
They are kind to me because:
(a) They ALWAYS work and...
(b) It feels less naughty eating a loaf than a cake!
COFFEE AND WALNUT LOAF
90g Walnut Halves/Pieces
210g Caster Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Essence
3tsp Instant Coffee
300g Self-Raising Flour
2tsp Instant Coffee
2tbs Boiled Water
80g Icing Sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 160°C and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
2. Put the walnuts onto a baking tray and place them in the oven for 10 minutes. Give them a good shake after 5 minutes to make sure that all are nice and toasted. Once removed from the oven, split the walnuts into two halves and set aside.
3. In a saucepan, place the butter, sugar, milk and instant coffee and simmer on a low heat, stirring until the butter has completely melted and you have a smooth mixture.
4. Sieve the flour and cinnamon into a mixing bowl and in the middle make a well.
5. Add the butter/coffee/sugar/milk mixture to the flour.Whisk the eggs with the vanilla essence and add them to the mixture, followed by half of the chopped walnuts. Stir the mixture until it is evenly combined.
6. Pour (or slop!) the mixture into the loaf tin and then sprinkle the remaining half of the walnuts on top. Place the tin in the oven for 40-45 minutes (depending on your oven).
7. Once removed, leave the cake in the tin to cool.
8. Once it is cool enough to remove, take the cake out of the tin and place onto a wire cooling rack.